Friday, March 25, 2011

Because I need to write...

So. I'm tired of complaining. Seriously, I always talk about being too distracted or too depressed or too blah blah blah to write or live or laugh. I wrap myself up in melancholy and hope for the best. I disengage from the world because, personally, I like my imagination better. I mean, who doesn't? But the truth is there is a world beyond the reaches of my self-proclaimed isolation. It's a big one. And consuming myself in books, a job, and a marriage does not equate to living. It equates to "getting by." So, here's a chance to refuel and live. But, before we move on to the finer points of interesting versus uninteresting points of discussion, a quick update on life for those who might be out of the loop.

1. Britter and I are buying a house. Not renting. Not apartment-ing. Purchasing a house. Why am I so old? Anyway, it's a 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath in Clinton. It's perfect. We love it. We should close around April 15 and move in June 1. (The seller's have a daughter who is graduating in May and wanted to stay until then. We agreed.) Needless to say, there are many things that will be done and packed and refinished and painted in the near future. But, we're excited. We're going to be homeowners. It's like some elite club of people who can claim that they are "adults." Ugh.

2. I am in the process of trying to get my teaching license for secondary English. Personally, I'm thrilled. Teach literature and writing and other things to students that may or may not be interested. Woot. Even if they aren't interested, I am and that is slightly more important considering that my last 2 jobs have been ones that I secretly want to forget about existing.

3. Life, for the most part, is good. I am trying to make some personal adjustments to overcome this melancholy I've been in for... oh, I don't know... 2 or 3 months now. Much to the chagrin of my wife, I process things internally which means that I've been working through things that I'm finally starting to be able to identify and work through. I'm not finished yet, which means that the process isn't complete and I haven't made any life-altering conclusions. But, I've recognized the process and that's a start.

4. I am recognizing the need for better friendships in my life. Well, let me rephrase. I am recognizing the need for my part in being a better friend in the lives of others, which improve the relational quality of the friendship. It's all very connected. So, I am trying to figure out how to stay connected and be a better friend to those friends I call dear.

5. I want a puppy. And a baby. But we are being smart and waiting. But I can't wait. I mean, I can be patient. But I'm excited. Just needed to share.

0 comments: